Table of Contents
- How to link the mobile number with Aadhaar?
- Using IVR (interactive voice response)
- Using SMS
- Is it mandatory to add a mobile number with the Aadhaar card?
- How to add a mobile number in the Aadhaar?
- What is the process of getting a new SIM card with Aadhaar?
- Frequent problems that occur while linking mobile number with Aadhaar
With the rapidly growing technology in India, it is now possible to get every update on our hands. It was in the year 2009, India launched its futuristic biometric system, Aadhaar. Thanks to our telecom operators, now we can link our Aadhaar to our mobile numbers just by sitting at home. Sounds so easy, right? Well, it is easier than it sounds.
How to link the mobile number with Aadhaar?
We can link our mobile number with the Aadhaar by two means:
- Step 1:- Visit your mobile network operator’s official website.
- Step 2:- Enter your mobile number that needs to be linked. You will receive an OTP.
- Step 3:- Submit the OTP and then proceed further.
- Step 4:- A pop-up will flash on your screen where you need to enter your Aadhaar number.
- Step 5:– Enter the fresh OTP again and verify the e-KYC details.
- Step 6:- Accept all the terms and conditions. On completing the steps, a confirmation message will come to your registered mobile number regarding the link process that you have done.
Using IVR (interactive voice response)
Both telecom users, prepaid and postpaid, can use the IVR services. Just follow the steps to link your mobile number with Aadhaar:
- Step 1:- Dial the toll-free number 14546 from any mobile number.
- Step 2:- Input the number that fits your citizenship as asked by the operator.
- Step 3:- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Step 4:- To confirm the Aadhaar number, press 1.
- Step 5:- Enter the mobile number you want to register with the Aadhaar number given in Step 3.
- Step 6:- Give consent so that the telecom operator can access your name, photo and date of birth from the UIDAI database.
- Step 7:- Enter the OTP. Then, press 1 to confirm the process.
- Step 1:- For this, you have to visit the nearest store of your telecom operator.
- Step 2:- You need to provide a copy of the self-attested Aadhaar card.
- Step 3:- Provide all the correct details asked by the telecom executive.
- Step 4:- Provide the 4-digit OTP that came on your mobile number and your biometrics to the store executive.
- Step 5:- Now you can sit and relax. After 24 hours, a confirmation message will flash on your mobile. You need to reply with “Y” to complete your linking process.
Is it mandatory to add a mobile number with the Aadhaar card?
It is not mandatory to add a mobile number/email to the Aadhaar card as per Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). However, they recommend adding a mobile number to get essential updates of Aadhaar Online Services and to use the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP).
As per the amendments of the Telegraph Act, 1885, telecommunication users can use their Aadhaar cards as a KYC (Know Your Customer) document. But, it is not compulsory. Earlier, if the mobile number was associated with a particular Aadhaar number, it was termed verified. Due to security reasons, this does not happen anymore.
How to add a mobile number in the Aadhaar?
You cannot add the mobile number on your own. You have to visit the nearest enrollment centre so that the supervisor can add your demographic details. To locate the nearest enrollment centre, visit the official UIDAI website. There is no need to take the original documents (if your documents are already submitted; if not, then do take them along with you). The supervisor will register your number successfully for getting the updates.
Even if you want to update your mobile number (in case, you have lost your mobile phone or any other reason) on your Aadhaar card, you still have to visit the enrolment centre. The authorities will charge you for this because you are making an update on your application. Once the process gets completed, you will receive a URN (Update Request Number). With the help of URN, you can track the status of your request.
What is the process of getting a new SIM card with Aadhaar?
- Step 1:- You need to visit the telecom store where you want your new SIM card and ask for the same from the store executive.
- Step 2:- Provide your Aadhaar as the ID and address proof.
- Step 3:- The store executive will then take your biometrics for the process completion.
- Step 4:- You are provided with a new SIM card that will activate in an hour or two.
Frequent problems that occur while linking mobile number with Aadhaar
What to do when one is not receiving OTPs?
Due to network error, sometimes there is a delay in receiving the OTPs. One can try to restart the phone or put the phone in aeroplane mode to get the OTP. If the OTP is still not coming, contact the mobile operator’s customer care and inform them about the issue.
It has been 48 hours, and my mobile number is still not updated. What to do?
It generally takes up to 10 days to update the mobile number. Keep track of the updates that will come to your registered mobile number.
Do I need to carry any documents of proof while linking the mobile number?
No, you need not carry any documents while linking the Aadhaar card with the mobile number.
The Aadhaar of my family member got linked to my mobile number. Can I still use that particular mobile number?
Yes, a single mobile number can be associated with two Aadhaar cards. There is no information regarding how many members can use the same mobile number. At present, no need to worry if a single mobile number got linked to two Aadhaars.
Can I use any app to link the Aadhaar with my mobile number?
m-Aadhaar is the app meant for downloading Aadhaar, updating the address and visiting the store in an offline mode. It does not link your mobile number with the Aadhaar. For linking the mobile number and Aadhaar, one has to follow either the online method or the offline one.
The store executive was asking for fees for linking my Aadhaar and mobile number. What shall I do?
The Aadhaar-mobile number link is free of cost. One has to pay the fees only for the mobile number update at the Aadhaar enrolment centre.